Sunday 18 November 2012

The Art Of Film Title Design Throughout Cinema History

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/10/04/the-art-of-the-film-title-throughout-cinema-history/

1. "Words and lettering played an enormous role in films of the silent era. Film titles made their appearance in the earliest silent films..."

I picked this because i found it interesting how far back title sequences go and were developed. I thought it was cool how these film titles could have been the early development of todays title sequence. 

2. "Over time, the very appearance of white-on-black title lettering became a visual trope..." 

I picked this because I found it interesting how popular white text on black background was so popular and now that I think about it, if I saw a white title on black background it would automatically strike me as an old fashioned film title, showing how iconic it was. 

3."Maurice Binder worked on the title designs of 14 films about Agent 007, including the first episode, “Dr. No” (1962). Binder created the famous gun-barrel sequence, which became a signature for the Bond series"

I picked this because I found out how far back the famous gun-barrel look on bond films went. It's interesting to think how these creations last so long and become icons in film. 

4."The revolutionary title sequence for “Se7en” (1995) by Kyle Cooper was named by New York Times Magazine as “one of the most important design innovations of the 1990s”

I picked this because I thought it was interesting how important this title sequence was in the history of the film industry. If interesting to think what title sequences would be like today if that title sequence wasn't around. 


 5. One thing these individuals have in common is a drive to find a strong metaphor and tell an exciting story with their sequences.
This is referring to the disney and pixar title sequence creators. I picked this because I learnt that all of their animated movie title sequences have a strong meaning in them, and I think that the way they have done this is clever as it must be difficult to create this in an animation. 




No comments:

Post a Comment